Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex is seeking an analytical action-oriented Solar Design Analyst to play a critical role in developing our early-stage through late-stage solar projects. This position reports to the Director of Solar Design and is part of a dynamic, collaborative, entrepreneurial team. The Solar Design Analyst is responsible for analyzing high quality solar meteorological data, preparing energy analyses, energy loss calculations, and providing general guidance to inform and optimize development, financing, construction, wind hybridization, and operation of our solar projects. The position interacts with multiple departments to ensure relevant data and analysis drives decision making and overall project quality and will be exposed to all aspects of the solar asset management life cycle. The candidate for this position should be adaptable and capable of working with an energetic team of professionals and should be familiar with basic principles of solar energy assessment. Advanced role and title placement can be considered depending on the candidates’ level of energy assessment expertise.
The ideal candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can support projects from a variety of viewpoints. Solar Design Analyst position requires equally excellent communication and technical skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and have the flexibility to shift priorities on the go. A passion for renewable energy is a plus.
Your primary responsibilities in this role will include:
- Solar photovoltaic energy assessment, preliminary plant design, and optimization to support the technical needs of projects in development, financing, construction, and operation.
- Secure, assimilate, and synthesize high quality data to conduct accurate resource and energy assessments and project designs.
- Manage and create spatial data in geographic information systems to support assessment, design, and optimization of projects.
- Design and optimize solar plants in the pre-construction phase of project development.
- Model utility and distributed-scale solar energy plant models in PVSyst and other software to produce energy predictions and associated energy deliverables such as PVsyst reports, 8760’s, 12x24 matrixes.
- Analyze and apply losses and uncertainty estimates for plant production estimates.
- Coordinate and evaluate consultants and independent engineers on 3rd party assessments as needed and to support financing or diligence from counterparties.
- Develop comprehensive layouts in AutoCAD, Civil 3D, or other CAD software that provide spatial guidance and configurations for our electrical, civil, project management, and finance teams.
- Support Asset Management in analysis and understanding of operating solar plant performance relative to pre-construction energy estimates.
In order to succeed as a Solar Design Analyst at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree or higher (Master’s degree preferred) in Electrical Engineering, Atmospheric Science, Engineering, Statistics, Physics, Environmental Resource Engineering or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Software requirements: PVSyst, CAD, SAM and Microsoft Office. Positive consideration given for candidates with Visual Basic, Python, and R or other programming experience.
- Experience with databases and general understanding of information technology and database design and administration.
- Knowledge, both technical and commercial, of how renewable energy assets are developed, constructed, operated and financed.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively to solve scientific and technical problems is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work across cultures, business units, and with external parties to influence people and drive change in the best interest of Apex Clean Energy and our projects is required.
- Strong communication skills in both verbal and written form are required.
- Professional appearance and manner.
- High attention to detail.
- Must be willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA
- Remote work may be approved for the right candidate.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.