Senior Transmission Planning Engineer
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy is seeking a Senior Transmission Planning Engineer to join our growing Transmission Department. Reporting to the Vice President of Transmission, the Senior Transmission Planning Engineer will perform generator interconnection analyses both from a reliability and economic standpoint to help with prospecting greenfield opportunities, support financing, and guiding the due diligence for M&A opportunities from a technical perspective.
In coordination with four other Transmission Planning Engineers within the group, you will serve as a technical subject matter expert on the ISO/RTO system studies, policies, and processes while also monitoring and participating in RTO’s technical forums representing Apex’s technical interests. In addition, gathering market intel and RTO knowledge to maintain planning models and develop future modeling scenarios will be critical functions of the role. Responsibilities will also include performing economic studies to assess project performance using industry standard software and metrics (curtailment, congestion, basis, etc.).
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to take part in the industry’s shift to clean energy onboard a recognized leader in this space that continues to grow exponentially while also becoming a highly skilled subject matter expert in all aspects of power system planning and energy market analysis.
The ideal candidate for this role will have six or more years of directly related experience in power system analysis, experience with appropriate system modeling tools, working knowledge of NERC Planning Standards and compliance, and a detailed knowledge of RTO/ISO planning processes with a specific emphasis on ERCOT. Experience working for an RTO is highly desirable. Additionally, we are seeking candidates who are hands-on, hardworking team players eager to jump in and support projects and people from a variety of angles. The position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to balance priorities and be flexible in a rapidly changing environment.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Transmission
- Travel: 5%
- Perform system modeling and studies in support of origination of projects and other business opportunities
- Perform system analysis to aid in determining strategic direction of the business unit
- Lead key functions related to reliability analysis and economic planning
- Maintain system models and coordinate model updates and compliance activities for existing assets and new prospects
- Perform due diligence activities with other internal groups for M&A activity and other diligence needs
- Act as liaison between internal and external specialists regarding power system engineering and transmission planning
- Work with other team members and departments collaboratively to navigate RTO interconnection processes and analyses
- Establish networking relationships with technical connections within RTO/ISOs
- Ensure compliance with applicable technical and regulatory requirements
- Ability to read, interpret, and capture inaccuracies in generation interconnection reports
- Lead consultants in performing reliability and economic studies where necessary
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
To succeed as a Senior Transmission Planning Engineer at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Master’s Degree in engineering, power systems, or related
- Demonstrated experience studying the ERCOT system and market from both reliability and economic/production cost perspective
- Experience in appropriate system modeling tools with experience in PSS/E and TARA required. Experience in PSLF, PROMOD, GRIDVIEW, and UPLAN desired
- Working knowledge of NERC Planning Standards and compliance
- Ability to code in Python or similar programming languages
- Detailed knowledge of ERCOT’s planning processes
- Working experience with modeling and power system analyses
- Highly skilled in production cost modeling and analyses
- Working knowledge of NERC Planning Standards and compliance
- Working knowledge of reliability and economic planning principles
- Experience in generation interconnection or market fundamentals
- Established relationships with ISO/RTO stakeholders
- Previous participation in ISO/RTO stakeholder working groups
- Ability to take part in collaborative efforts with peers and colleagues
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Passion for renewable energy
- Exemplary standards of honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity
- High attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated success at meeting deadlines, and the ability to manage many tasks, people, and projects simultaneously
- A positive attitude and comfort being flexible, adaptable, and solutions-oriented
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia or our satellite office in Minneapolis, MN. Remote work will be considered for the right candidate.
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.