Senior Electrical Engineer
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
11 days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex is seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer to manage and coordinate technical issues of renewable energy projects from development through construction completion including continued operations support. Working in the Project Management Department on a small collaborative Electrical Engineering team, this role will interface with the internal Development, Transmission, Construction and Operational teams, and oversee all major technical issues to ensure compliance with Apex’s technical standards. In addition, the Senior Electrical Engineer will ensure delivery of technical concept and engineering design of projects at various stages of their lifecycle as well as manage 3rd party electrical engineering and design work.
The Senior Electrical Engineer position requires excellent communication and collaboration skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and shift priorities on the go. The successful candidate will be well organized, comfortable in a dynamic environment, have strong attention to detail, and can synthesize and conceptualize complex ideas. A passion for renewable energy is a must.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Project Management
- Travel: 0-20%
- Office Location: On site and Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA
- Perform preliminary design for project substation, transmission lines, and collection systems
- Manage 3rd party engineers performing collection system, project substation and Point-of-Interconnection substation designs
- Planning and coordinating of internal and external resources for technical due diligence of renewable energy projects
- Identify value-add and profitability influencers through technical analysis and preparation of proposals for improved planning and technical requirements
- Responsible for technical analyses to support project development, construction, and operational activities
- Responsible for the quality of the project technical concepts in accordance with the Company strategy and standards
- Develop and support request for proposals for engineering work, with Procurement, evaluate the submissions and make recommendations on selection
- Prepare and clarify regional requirements and resource planning through coordination of the input of specialized skills, supported either from internal or external technical experts or by developing local partnerships for detailed engineering support
Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering, advanced degree preferred
Three years minimum of related experience in electrical engineering design, specifically in substations and renewable energy systems
Experience working with consulting engineering firms
Support engineering analytics and root cause analysis for faults on operating wind or solar assets
Demonstrated ability to lead, manage, and foster cohesive teamwork
Highly organized with demonstrated ability to work under very tight time requirements and deadlines; able to juggle competing demands and follow through on deliverables with minimal supervision
Ability to read, write, understand, and speak English proficiently
Professional presence with strong communication and presentation skills
Builds trust by demonstrating high ethical standards and personal integrity
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia (and/or our satellite office in Minneapolis, MN. Remote work will be considered for the right candidate.)
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works in both an indoor office environment and an outdoor environment, occasionally at night which may be subject to inclement weather. Extended hours may be required to complete scheduled repairs.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.