Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy is seeking a Senior Development Manager, Distributed Energy Resources (DER) to assist in the growth, development, and management of our growing portfolio of distributed energy projects across the United States. Our Senior Development Managers own and manage activities surrounding the procurement, management, and oversight of both external and internal resources required to develop DER projects. In this role, you must possess the experience and skills required to independently lead renewable energy project development processes in multiple markets, including market analysis, site acquisition, permitting, and interconnection. This position reports to the Director of Development for DER and represents an opportunity to grow, diversify, and execute in the dynamic and growing DER market.
- Manage and lead the development process of DER projects
- Oversee and manage land acquisition in specific DER markets with our Land Team
- Conduct targeting analysis to determine optimal DER sites
- Lead and manage landowner lease negotiations and relationships
- Manage external and internal land agents during acquisition process
- Oversee and manage local, state, and federal permitting efforts and approval processes for DER projects with our Environmental Team
- Represent Apex with local, state, and federal officials, regulators, utilities, and other stakeholders throughout the project development process
- Manage the preparation and delivery of permitting documentation
- Interpret technical engineering and environmental reports and studies to determine project impact and pertinence towards application requirements
- Coordinate and manage the project interconnection process with our Transmission Team
- Develop and execute project marketing strategy in collaboration with our Public Affairs Team
- Provide reports to management including updates on project status and changes to regulations
- Manage project financial models, project design and generation interconnection activities
- Organize and manage project budget, schedule, and proforma
- Supervise project consultants in all areas of project development
- Work cross-departmentally to maintain clear communication and smooth collaboration at all stages of the project development process
- Travel up to 40% to project site locations and attend stakeholder meetings
To succeed as a Senior Development Manager DER, you will need to excel within the following criteria:
- Undergraduate degree with a master’s degree preferred
- 5-6 years of renewable energy project development experience; direct DER project development experience strongly preferred
- Solid track record in project management and contract negotiations; first-hand negotiation experience preferred
- Experience managing land agents during site acquisition
- Understanding of and experience with project interconnection processes, studies, and agreements
- Experience with local, state, and federal permitting processes
- Understanding of renewable energy project finance and project financial models
- Confirmed ability to work collaboratively within and lead multi-disciplinary teams while earning buy-in from team members to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery of projects
- Strong organization skills with the ability to handle frequently changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment
- Outstanding work ethic and ability to productively take ownership of projects while communicating collaboratively throughout the project’s life cycle
- Articulate with the ability to lead and assist with management, client, and public presentations
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Willing and able to travel 40% to project sites
- Able to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA, remote position available for the candidate with proven track record of success
- Willing to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.