Renewable Energy Control Center Operator
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
12 days ago
Apex Clean Energy develops, constructs, and operates utility-scale wind and solar power facilities across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 400 renewable energy experts uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information on how Apex is leading the transition to a clean energy future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy is currently seeking a Renewable Energy Control Center Operator to remotely monitor the operation and performance of our renewable energy assets that are located across the United States. The Operator plays a key role in the safe and reliable operations of our renewable energy fleet by controlling and monitoring the status of all plant systems on a continual basis. The Operator is responsible for performance monitoring and diagnostics including turbine and inverter resets as well as meeting regulatory compliance obligations, such as proper voltage supportand curtailment performance. Under the supervision of the Control Center Manager and working with a small team of fellow Operators, the Operator will monitor and control computer and peripheral electronic data processing equipment to analyze performance and remotely operate wind turbine generators, solar assets, battery assets, and substation equipment.
- Start, stop and dispatch wind, solar, and battery storage energy facilities to meet planned schedule
- Continuously monitor the operation of facilities to ensure compliance and performance objectives
- Coordinate with on-site operations teams to communicate site conditions while working to maximize project availability and production
- Build and maintain relationships with primary stakeholders and market participants
- Schedule production with power purchasers, power marketers and system operators
- Perform diagnostic analysis of operating data to assess operating performance and identify abnormal performance conditions
- Effectively communicate abnormal conditions to management or stakeholders
- Help and assist with building out and crafting solutions to improve our internal processes, reports, and customer-facing products where applicable
The Operations Center is an indoor 24/7/365 operation located in our Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA. This role works on a (4-On, 4-Off) rotating shift schedule. Nights, Weekends, overtime, and holiday work is required.
To succeed as an Operator at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Strong passion for renewable energy
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve basic to moderate IT issues
- Experience in the renewable energy field preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Exemplary standards of integrity, safety, professionalism, communication, and productivity
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work proactively and productively without supervision
- Experience with other Microsoft Tools such as Power Bi (preferred)
- Proficiency with SCADA systems (preferred)
- PJM certification (preferred)
- Ability and willingness to work on a (4-On, 4-Off) rotating shift schedule. Nights, Weekends, and holiday work is required.
- Must be willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
When travelling, may work in an outdoor environment, which may be noisy and fast paced and subject to inclement weather.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
- A mission-driven, energetic environment
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.