Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex is seeking Real Estate Counsel to manage real estate transactions related to the development, financing, construction, and operation of utility-scale renewable energy projects. This position reports to the Senior Real Estate Counsel and will be joining a small team of Real Estate Counsels operating within the Land Management Department.
Our Real Estate Counsels occupy a multi-faceted role and provide leadership for projects at all phases of the development life cycle. The position requires impressive cross-functional skills as you’ll have insight into the entirety of the development process.
Our ideal candidate is an action-oriented, hard-working team player who can jump in and support projects from a variety of angles. This position requires excellent communication and writing skills as well as the ability to balance priorities and shift needs on the go. A passion for renewable energy is a must.
- Prepare real estate contracts required in conjunction with the development, construction, and operation of renewable energy projects
- Negotiate leases and other real estate agreements with landowners and landowner attorneys
- Review title commitments, title proformas, ALTA surveys and supervise title curative work required to obtain title policies in preparation for project financing.
- Work closely with title companies and lenders’ counsel to satisfy all requirements leading up to project financing
- Lead real estate efforts related to project finance including responding to real estate due diligence requests from lenders, investors and other financing partners
- Interact with landowners and landowner attorneys in a manner that projects a positive image of the company
- Coordinate with GIS, engineering and development teams throughout the development, construction and operation phases of renewable energy projects
- Provide legal support for property administration analysts, leasing analysts and title analysts
To succeed as a Real Estate Counsel at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Juris Doctor degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Admitted to a state bar and eligible for and willing to apply for admission to Virginia State Bar as corporate counsel (if not already admitted as a full member)
- Minimum 5 years of experience with large-scale, leveraged real estate transactions, solar and wind energy related experience preferred
- Strong grasp of real estate contract terms and conditions, and ability to understand and interpret complex legal documents
- Familiarity with lease negotiations and experience reviewing vesting deeds, entity documents and trust agreements
- Familiarity with tax credit equity and lender expectations related to real estate documents, title policies and ALTA surveys
- Ability to work closely with cross-functional teams of internal and external resources
- Excellent leadership, communication, organizational, and negotiation skills
- Ability to project a positive image of the company and cultivate and maintain positive relationships
- Ability to work from our HQ in Charlottesville, Virginia (hybrid options available)
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
At this time, Apex will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.