Public Engagement Summer Associate (Intern)
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
4 days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
We hire Public Engagement Summer Associates that are passionate about sustainable clean energy. Our summer associates support the public engagement team in organizing communities to support our clean energy projects. The role will focus on working with the Public Engagement Manager and support work with local renewable energy supporters in several Apex project communities, as well as local organizations, and elected officials to promote the financial, health, and economic benefits these projects provide.
Previous experience in campaigns, community engagement, or public affairs is a plus. We are looking for a candidate with excellent communication and interpersonal skills who is willing to learn and gain experience in communications, marketing, local government processes, organizing, events, and the renewable energy industry. This role will provide a fast-paced atmosphere where flexibility and strong interpersonal skills are a must. Candidates who possess a strong personal commitment to renewable energy, business, and/or rural economic development will be well-suited for this role. In addition, if you tend to gravitate towards campaign-type work then this will be a nice landing place in the corporate workspace.
- Enter and maintain data in various data bases and systems including but not limited to NationBuilder, Smartsheet, and Salesforce
- Event planning and coordination
- Monitoring of social and traditional media
- Represent Apex Clean Energy at various business, government, and community meetings and events
- Meet with and mobilize individuals to contact their local elected or agencies in support of renewable energy.
- Cultivate support from prospects via phone calls, email, or marketing campaign follow up.
- As needed, speak to groups, classes, and organizations
- Draft letters of support and/or talking points for renewable energy for various audiences
- Help prepare press releases and other community communications
- Coordinate advertising purchase and placements
- Conduct desktop research to support community engagement objectives
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, and ability to quickly become familiar with NationBuilder, Smartsheet, and Salesforce
- Strong passion for renewable energy
- Attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to keep track of multiple projects at once
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent social skills and comfort with public speaking and cold calls
- Calm and professional demeanor
- Willingness to travel
- Previous experience in campaigns, community engagement, or public affairs a plus
- Familiarity with social media campaigns a plus
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
- The summer associate program will run from June 5 through August 11 but we can be flexible with the start and end dates
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Non-Exempt
- Paid Internship: Undergrad $15/Hour; Grad $25/Hour
- Office Location: Our Charlottesville, VA headquarters
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.