Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy is seeking an experienced Project Manager to manage various construction phases of utility-scale renewable energy projects. The project manager will be responsible for the early to mid-stage activities including managing project schedules, project budgets, stakeholder communication, constructability reviews, risk analysis, and change management.
This is an exciting opportunity to provide early to mid-stage project support to our growing portfolio and will continue to elevate Apex’s reputation a leader within the renewable energy industry, amplify project efforts, and help realize projects.
The right candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can jump in and support projects from a variety of angles. This position requires equally excellent communication and technical skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and be flexible about shifting priorities. A passion for renewable energy is a must.
- Manage multiple renewable energy projects with competing deadlines and resources.
- Manage the development, planning, and execution of operational utility-scale renewable projects according to design requirements within established timeframe.
- Manage contract requirements, client relations, and project deliverables.
- Manage overall project budget and expenses for delivering profit margins at or above expectations while also balancing project quality.
- Establish and monitor performance metrics, project schedules, risk profiles, and cost performance of the project in accordance with company systems.
- Manage all aspects of the project including the planning/reporting process, management of third-party vendors and contracts, meeting external standards and certification requirements, as well as detailed field logistics.
- Manage third party integrator and main supplier through engineering, construction and into initial operation.
- Provide steady and reliable communication throughout project lifecycle while also managing complicated schedules, budgets, people, risks, and other resources.
- Engage with and foster relationships with the various internal and external project stakeholders as Apex’s primary contact for the project duration.
- Be collaborative and capable of working in a fast-paced environment and should be familiar with project management techniques and software.
- Responsible for project schedules from early-stage development through hand off at mid-stage development.
- Manage the early phase of the projects within the budget and schedule approved by management
- Responsible for the projects’ advancement and coordination with project stakeholders to ensure a successful project hand off.
- Perform risk analysis, write constructability reviews and change management.
- Manage projects using industry standard project management tools.
- Ensure high work quality and safe work practices at all times during the projects.
- Drive compliance with all internal company policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To succeed as a Project Manager at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Construction Management.
- Advanced degree, MBA, and/or PMP Certification preferred
- Minimum 5 years of engineering, construction and/or technical project management experience.
- 3-years’ experience working for an EPC firm or renewable energy company.
- Experience managing contract requirements, stakeholder relations, project deliverables, as well as establishing and monitoring performance metrics, project schedules, risk profiles, and cost-performances.
- Working knowledge of project scheduling concepts, techniques, and software such as MS-Project and/or Primavera.
- Experience managing pre-construction of multiple renewable energy projects.
- Experience with project controls for early-stage industrial engineering, procurement, and pre-construction is required.
- Working knowledge of project scheduling concepts and techniques.
- Strong attention to detail with a high level of integrity and organizational capacity to manage multiple projects.
- Advanced knowledge of safety and relevant OSHA requirements and regulations.
- Able to read, write, understand, and speak English proficiently.
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.