Project Finance Analyst, Renewable Energy
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
We are currently seeking a Project Finance Analyst or Sr. Analyst (depending on experience) to help us accelerate the shift to clean energy by contributing to the team through analysis, forecasting, and modeling.
The Project Finance Analyst / Sr. Analyst will join a team of Project Finance professionals who source, negotiate, and execute project sales and structured financings, including project sales, joint ventures, construction financing, back leverage, and tax equity financing.
The Project Finance Analyst / Sr. Analyst will support project valuation, due diligence, and execution of project transactions and investment decisions for utility-scale wind, solar and battery storage projects. This role will be critical in the business helping to develop and maintain relationships with a variety of banks and investors in the renewable energy space; as well as knowledge of current trends, activities, and changes within the industry at-large.
Our ideal candidate has a background in finance and experience in renewable energy and evident comfort in and passion for project finance analysis. An understanding of the process for developing, constructing, and operating a renewable energy project is preferred. The candidate has extensive experience using Excel and has a solid understanding of financial concepts such as time value of money, internal rate of return, cash flow analysis, debt, bond financing and tax credits. You are keen to use those skills to support our finance and development teams in all aspects of project economic forecasting, including financial modeling of contracts, operating assumptions, cash flows, tax benefits, and other incentives. Depending on experience, you’ll lead or assist with structuring cash and tax equity investment, project debt, and sensitivity analyses.
You are someone who jumps at the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues, and you are comfortable in an environment of constant change, shifting demands, and moving timelines you consistently work with a high attention to detail. Additionally, you can clearly and concisely communicate your assumptions and conclusions on financial models for financing and upper management consideration. You’ll work collaboratively with our internal teams at every stage of development to help us successfully get our projects across the finish line.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Finance
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA
- Depending on experience, assist or lead every aspect of the project financial model for mid-stage and late-stage development assets, including project offtake bidding and structuring long-term capital.
- Maintain project models with current and updated assumptions.
- Model economics of project documents, including land leases, interconnection agreements, power purchase agreements, O&M agreements, etc.
- Monitor and model various financial structures (project finance debt, equity, PTC/ITC, grants and other incentives, depreciation benefits, lease financing, tax equity investments, etc.).
- Perform sensitivity analysis on project models.
- Provide narrative analysis on financial models for project financing and investment consideration.
- Compile and maintain support files to justify project assumptions.
- Assist in building models, tools, process, and infrastructure that supports the organization's accuracy, efficiency, and scalability.
- Support various aspects of a project sales and financing such as due diligence and commercial negotiations. Lead specific closing deliverables such as Appraisal/Cost Segregation Reports, Insurance Consultant Report, and Project Closing activities.
- Interface with stakeholders across the organization to capture information relevant to the financial returns of leads, opportunities, and projects under development
- Support projects that are operational and financed by Apex, including refinancing activities, consent processes, financing document compliance, and modeling
- Monitoring power markets including structured energy transactions
- Degree in finance, economics, energy/environmental policy, engineering or other quantitative and related discipline. Graduate degree or CFA preferred.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in the renewable energy or cleantech industry is required working with project finance models, including modeling tax equity and debt structures is preferred
- Candidates for the senior position may have over 7 years of experience and directly relevant experience working at a renewable energy developer, lender, or investor where at least 50% of the role is devoted to building and maintaining project finance models that reflect tax equity and back leverage participation and may include mezzanine and bond financing.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel including experience with project financial modeling.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the desire to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and to meet deadlines and complete time-sensitive duties
- Strong organization skills and ability to meet frequently changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment. Ability to manage and track multiple detailed projects simultaneously and complete tasks efficiently.
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.