Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy develops, constructs, and operates utility-scale wind and solar power facilities across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 renewable energy experts uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information on how Apex is leading the transition to a clean energy future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
We are seeking a Project Developer to assist in the growth, development, and management of our growing portfolio of utility-scale wind, solar and storage projects across the United States. Our Project Developers work in tandem with our senior-level developers and are directly responsible for assisting with and/or handling the development activities within the utility-scale wind and solar projects that they are assigned. Such activities include the permitting process, landowner lease negotiations, the interconnection process, project area research, compilation, and presentation of analysis to both internal and external stakeholders, tracking budgets and schedules, project marketing strategy, working with project consultants, and more. You will assist in leading community and client relationships throughout the development process and you'll work together with our internal teams at every stage of development to help us successfully get our projects to the finish line.
You will come into this role with a genuine interest in renewable energy, education in a related field, and at least a year of energy development related experience. You have a solid track record of exemplary teamwork and enjoy working on a dynamic and diverse team. Our ideal candidate will have hands-on experience with project management processes and principles, understand the project development process and energy markets, and have no problem organizing, planning, and meeting deadlines for large multi-faceted projects. You seize the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues and you thrive in an environment that requires flexibility and adaptation to constant change, shifting demands, and moving timelines.
You are analytical and a personable self-starter who can independently complete tasks on schedule. You have strong communication, presentation, and computer skills and can form, write, and present a coherent argument using facts and fact-based opinions following detailed analysis. An understanding of the energy markets is considered a major advantage. Likewise, prior experience in project development and/or project finance is a plus.
- Department: Project Development
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Project Location: Apex develops projects across the United States. The specific project area you'll be responsible for will depend on the needs of our Project Development team at the time of hire.
- Assist with and/or manage various aspects of utility-scale renewable energy projects
- Work closely with manager and other team members to uncover new opportunities and drive forward existing projects under development
- Lead landowner lease negotiations and relationships in projects involving large numbers of landowners
- Secure a network of accounts to reach permitting for realization of projects on land
- Coordinate the project interconnection process
- Research, conduct self-guided analysis, produce reports, and present information clearly to management
- Compilation and analysis of data for project stakeholders and partners
- Oversee project environmental and wildlife studies
- Organizing and tracking project budget, schedule and proforma
- Support the negotiation of power purchase and asset agreements
- Implement local, state, and federal permitting
- Develop project marketing strategy in collaboration with our Public Affairs Team
- Oversee project consultants: environmental, engineering, transmission, etc.
- Work cross-departmentally to maintain clear communication at all stages of the project development process
- Responsible for smooth collaboration between the different internal departments
- Travel to project site locations in your region of the United States to attend stakeholder meetings and forums.
- Undergraduate degree (master’s preferred) in development related field with a strong academic record
- At least one year of professional energy or land development experience; direct wind and/or solar utility-scale development experience strongly preferred
- Understanding of the project development process of renewable energy projects
- Solid track record in project management and leading complex projects to completion
- Familiarity with project finance and project financial models a strong plus
- Knowledge of Regional Transmission Organizations (RTOs) and Independent System Operators (ISO)s
- Confirmed ability to work collaboratively within and lead multi-disciplinary teams managing complex projects with shifting demands and numerous timelines
- Strong organization skills and ability to handle time to meet frequently changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment
- Articulate with the ability to assist with management, client, and public presentations
- Strong computer and internet skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with ArcGIS
- Strong passion for renewable energy
- Willing and able to travel 40% to projects within your region
- Driving is an essential function of this job. This position must possess and maintain a current, valid Driver License
- Able to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA or our satellite office in Lake Elmo, MN
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved
What Apex Can Offer You
- A mission-driven, energetic environment
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.