Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
25 days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
We are seeking a Project Developer to assist in the growth, development and management of our growing portfolio of utility-scale wind and solar projects across the United States. Our Project Developers work in tandem with our senior-level developers and are directly responsible for assisting with and/or handling the development activities within the projects that they are assigned. Such activities include the permitting process, landowner lease negotiations, the interconnection process, project area research, compilation and presentation of analysis to both internal and external stakeholders, tracking budgets and schedules, project marketing strategy, working with project consultants, and more. You will assist in leading community and client relationships throughout the development process and you'll work together with our internal teams at every stage of development to help us successfully get our projects to the finish line.
You will come into this role with a genuine interest in renewable energy, education in a related field, and at least a year of energy development experience. You have a solid track record of exemplary teamwork and enjoy working on a dynamic and diverse team. You understand all things project management, can negotiate contracts, and have no problem organizing, planning, and meeting deadlines for large multi-faceted projects. You seize the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues and you thrive in an environment that requires flexibility and adaptation to constant change, shifting demands, and moving timelines.
You are analytical and a personable self-starter who can independently complete tasks on schedule. You have strong communication, presentation, and computer skills and can form, write, and present a coherent argument using facts and fact-based opinions following detailed analysis. An understanding of the energy markets is considered a major advantage. Likewise, prior experience in project development and/or project finance is a plus.
The Project Developer is responsible for the following:
- Assist with and/or manage various aspects of utility-scale renewable energy projects.
- Work closely with manager and other team members to uncover new opportunities and drive forward existing projects under development.
- Lead landowner lease negotiations and relationships in projects involving large numbers of landowners.
- Secure a network of accounts in order to reach permitting for realization of projects on land.
- Coordinate the project interconnection process.
- Research, conduct self-guided analysis, produce reports, and present information clearly to management.
- Compilation and analysis of data for project stakeholders and partners.
- Oversee project environmental and wildlife studies. Organizing and tracking project budget, schedule and proforma.
- Support the negotiation of power purchase and asset agreements.
- Implement local, state and federal permitting.
- Develop project marketing strategy in collaboration with our Public Affairs Team.
- Oversee project consultants: environmental, engineering, transmission, etc.
- Work cross-departmentally to maintain clear communication at all stages of the project development process.
- Responsible for smooth collaboration between the different internal departments
- Travel to project site locations and attending stakeholder meetings will be required
To succeed as a Project Developer at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Undergraduate degree (master’s preferred) in development related field with a strong academic record.
- 1-3 years of energy development experience; direct wind and/or solar utilty-scale development experience preferred.
- Solid track record in project management and contract negotiations.
- Familiarity with project financial models.
- Confirmed ability to work collaboratively within and lead multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong organization skills and ability to handle time to meet frequently changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment.
- Articulate with the ability to assist with management, client and public presentations.
- Strong computer and internet skills, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Microsoft Project.
- Willing and able to travel 40%-50%.
- Able to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA or our satellite office in Minneapolis, MN or remotely from the region assigned.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.