Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
The New Markets Team is responsible for originating utility-scale renewable energy projects and conducts rigorous due diligence to ensure that we develop a strong portfolio of projects that are the most compelling, the most likely to succeed, and the most competitive possible. The New Markets Team collaborates with many internal teams (Development, Business Development, Construction, Transmission, Land, Resource, GIS, Finance, Environment, Public Affairs) to complete different stages of due diligence.
In this role, you will support the New Markets team in the identification, evaluation, and fatal-flaw analysis of wind and solar projects from start to finish. Specifically, you will conduct research and analysis to determine competition and identify acquisition opportunities. The role requires strong communication, research, analysis, presentation, and computer skills (especially in PowerPoint, Excel and ArcGIS). An understanding of wind, solar and energy markets is considered a major advantage.
- Supporting project-level research to inform prospecting strategy
- Conducting preliminary title work to verify site availability
- Perform diligence and research to inform acquisition approach
- Support cross-departmental needs, including: market, transmission, public engagement, environmental research support
- Contributing to a 4-phase PowerPoint and Smartsheet based process for the due diligence of wind and solar projects from a resource, environmental, permitting, land, constructability, cost, community receptivity, and transmission fatal flaw perspective
- Performing other duties and investigations as assigned
- Undergraduate and graduate students with strong academic records may apply. All majors/grad programs considered (examples, Environmental Science, Economics, Geography/GIS, Energy Systems, Engineering majors, Masters/Graduate programs, etc.)
- Knowledge of U.S. RTO/ISO (e.g., ERCOT, MISO, PJM, etc.) planning/queue process and a general understanding of wind and solar energy development is preferable
- Strong cross-functional (quantitative and qualitative) analytical skills and ability to communicate findings in both verbal and written format
- Familiarity with GIS
- Demonstrable alignment with Apex’s core values of sustainability, safety, entrepreneurship, integrity, and professionalism
- The summer associate program will run from June 3 through August 9, but we can be flexible with the start and end dates
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Non-Exempt
- Paid Internship: Undergraduate, $17/Hour; Graduate, $27/Hour
- Office Location: Our Charlottesville, VA headquarters
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.