Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy is seeking a Project Accountant to support all aspects of project cost accounting and financial reporting for Apex’s utility-scale renewable energy projects. This role will focus on cost accounting for projects in the development, construction, and operations phase, monitoring the costs as they accumulate for the various projects, preparing financial statements for project entities, assisting other departments to help review spends associated with project entities, and assisting with corporate level activities and internal controls.
This position is central to our projects and critical to tackling challenging and complex accounting and business tasks, providing fiscally responsible accounting practices for each of our project entities. Reporting to our Project Controller and Asset Management Accounting Manager, this role will be joining an innovative and nimble accounting team and be immersed in the full life cycle process of utility-scale wind and solar projects. Working to manage project level financial statements within the development, construction, and operations process, you’ll act as the accounting connection between internal teams and stakeholders.
Our ideal candidate is coachable and ready to learn the ins and outs of fiscally responsible project accounting processes and methods, project financials, financial statements, and financial reports. Our ideal candidate is also excited about the potential of operating independently upon demonstrating measurable results and the ability to enhance the work. This is an exciting opportunity to elevate Apex’s brand as a leader within the industry, amplify project efforts, and help advance projects from early days to realization.
The right candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can jump in and support projects from a variety of angles. The Project Accountant position requires equally excellent communication and technical skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and be flexible about shifting priorities. A passion for renewable energy is a must.
Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Accounting
- Travel: 5%
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Act as the Project Accountant for one or more wind and/or solar projects
- Lead the project accounting practices supporting the interface between FP&A, Accounting, and Commercial Management
- Set up project cost and financial reports, supporting the Commercial Manager and aligning with Finance & Accounting
- Preparing construction loan draws
- Preparing project level financial statements
- Reviewing project coding
- Account reconciliation
- Assisting in indirect taxes – not income taxes
- Develop client Schedule of Values & Payment Applications
- Support project audits
- Analyze and report accounts receivable status and collection, lead resolution working with A/P
- Ensure billing and reporting requirements are met by deadlines.
- Audit, review, and track payment applications and billings
- Analyze and review actual costs and other project accounting transactions to support monthly project forecasts and reporting
- Review actuals – labor and costs, ensure proper understanding and allocation
- Job cost review and reclassification
- Drive improvement of project accounting and project cost tools and trackers
- Administer sales tax processes pertinent to assigned projects
- Analyze and confirm progress and goods/services received
- Review vendor and subcontractor invoices, match with commitments, check for accuracy, and code accordingly
- Compile monthly and annual accruals, as required
- Compile project cash flows with a focus on the net cash position
- Project and calculate revenue & margin, with supporting basis for revenue recognition
- Support systems implementations and data integrity
- Internship and/or 1-2 years in project accounting related role preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, specifically a strong working knowledge of Excel
- Working knowledge of GAAP and cost accounting
- Experience in Microsoft Dynamics SL preferred
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to meet simultaneous deadlines
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to take initiative, be responsible for outcomes, and follow through
- Creative, outside-the-box thinking and willingness to operate in a nimble, flexible environment
- Proven ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia and/or our satellite office in Minneapolis, MN.
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.