Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
19 days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy is seeking a Performance Engineer to join our newly formed Performance Reliability and Engineering (PRE) Team that sits within the Asset Management and Operations Department. The PRE Team provides holistic ownership of site and portfolio wide performance and all associated infrastructure, digital tools, data flows, and visualization/reporting. This position will report to our Director of PRE and responsible for helping to drive the highest value possible from our operating fleet through the development and implementation of our performance strategy. The Performance Engineer is ultimately responsible for improving the availability, efficiency, and reliability of our renewable assets while defining and managing the performance metrics. This position will analyze the performance of our assets to identify, quantify, document, and communicate generation upside within the fleet. This role will also perform analysis on an as-needed basis for key stakeholders to support the development of automation tools and standards. The ideal candidate will be a hands-on, hard-working team player who can support projects from a variety of viewpoints. The Performance Engineer position requires equally excellent communication and technical skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and have the flexibility to shift priorities on the go. A passion for renewable energy is a plus.
Primary Responsibilities •
- Perform analysis of fleet performance to identify performance improvement opportunities and complete detailed comparisons against targets
- Improve site performance by providing recommendations regarding availability, production, and reliability issues/initiatives • Responsible for creating and leading monthly performance reporting
- Lead the standardization of operations, maintenance, and engineering processes
- Work with various internal and external groups including the engineering and technical support personnel, corporate and regional reliability engineers, site operating personnel and other teams in the Asset Management and Operations Team
- Conduct root cause analysis (RCA) of turbine, inverter and panel faults and failures, in conjunction with the Reliability team
- Lead the efforts to trial various retrofits to improve turbine performance and validate the changes on technical and commercial aspects
- Manage all configuration changes in the fleet to achieve availability goals
- Manage wind turbine and solar supplier technical resources to ensure focus on priorities and achieve performance improvement targets by being the technical point of contact
- Review and coordinate all technical aspects of wind and solar supplier major retrofits and upgrades to achieve high reliability and avoid reduced service life and failures
- Support operability reviews, wind and solar site commissioning, end-of-warranty inspections, and procurement to ensure proper equipment operation
- Implement lessons learned and lead continuous improvement of processes to enhance performance of our wind and solar fleet.
- Provide QA/QC on all facilities under operation
To succeed as our Performance Engineer, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria: Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering
- 3-5 years of experience in a related field or 1-2 years of applicable experience with a Master’s degree
- Experience working with wind turbine systems and/or solar operations strongly preferred; Industrial controls and hydraulics experience and/or familiarity with heavy machinery, generators, solar PV and power generation equipment will also be considered
- Thorough practical and technical knowledge of industrial equipment and functionality Understanding of Microsoft products and/or complementing products.
- Competency in analytical problem solving, strong communication, customer/partner relationships, and technology expertise.
- Ability to read and understand plans, specifications, drawings, and documents relating to engineering and construction
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to be self-motivated
- Strong time-management skills and demonstrated efficiency in providing technical support on multiple concurrent activities
- Strong planning and organizational skills for developing and implementing complex and multifaceted action plans
- Strong interpersonal skills • Ability to operate a motor vehicle, including possession of a valid driver’s license
- Physical capability to climb in order to access wind turbine towers and equipment for inspections and data collection
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required upon employment
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.