New Markets Project Analyst
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
We are seeking a Project Analyst for our New Markets Team to lead the siting and evaluation of utility-scale wind, solar and storage projects located predominately in the PJM, NYISO and SERC markets. The New Markets Team is responsible for siting new wind, solar and storage projects and conducts rigorous due diligence to ensure that we develop the highest quality, most competitive and most likely to succeed, projects possible. In this role, you will be directly responsible for the identification, screening, and comprehensive fatal-flaw analysis of wind, solar and storage projects from start to finish, and for providing detailed analysis and insights that support portfolio-level decisions.
As a Project Analyst, you will work together with our internal teams (Development, Business Development, Construction, Transmission, Land, Resource, GIS, Finance, Environment, Public Affairs) to complete the different stages of due diligence on a region-specific, portfolio of projects. The role requires extensive analysis as well as strong communication, presentation, and computer skills (especially in PowerPoint, Excel and ArcGIS). The ability to form, write, and present a coherent argument using facts and fact-based opinions following detailed analysis is key. An understanding of wind, solar, storage and energy markets is considered a major advantage. Likewise, prior experience in project development and/or project finance is a plus.
Our ideal candidate will come into this role with at least 4 years of related analysis and/or energy development experience as well as a passion for renewable energy. This position requires a strong understanding of project management - organizing, planning, and meeting deadlines. This role collaborates extensively across teams and works in an environment that requires flexibility and adaptation to constant change, shifting demands, and moving timelines. You have a background in or a desire to learn spatial analysis tools (e.g., ArcGIS and Google Earth). Finally, and most importantly, our ideal candidate is a tenacious problem solver who realizes the importance of persistence and leaves no stone unturned.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: New Markets
- Travel: 5-10% to project sites
- Office Location: Charlottesville, VA (HQ)
Manage and lead utility-scale wind and solar project siting and due diligence from a resource, environmental, permitting, land, constructability, cost, community receptivity, and transmission fatal flaw perspective using a defined 4-phase PowerPoint and Smartsheet based process
- Work closely with manager and other team members to discover and screen new opportunities
- Work cross-departmentally to maintain clear communication at all stages of project evaluation
- Develop and deliver project-pitches and due diligence summaries to senior management
- Coordinate and manage third-party diligence consultants
- Travel 5-10% to project site locations
- Bachelor’s degree considered; master’s degree in business, environmental science or engineering strongly preferred
- At least 4 years of directly related experience in project or environmental analysis, energy development, or policy analysis
- Experience with project management processes and leading projects to completion
- A strong understanding of the development process of renewable energy projects
- Knowledge and/or professional energy development experience in the PJM, NYISO, and/or SERC Regional Transmission Organizations (RTO)
- Knowledge and/or professional experience with other RTOs and Independent System Operators (ISO)s, transmission systems, and power project engineering are advantageous
- Working knowledge of project financial models
- Confirmed ability to work collaboratively within and lead multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong organization skills and ability to meet frequently changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to manage and track multiple detailed projects simultaneously and complete tasks efficiently
- Strong computer and internet skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Extensive experience with ArcGIS, PowerPoint and/or Smartsheet strongly preferred
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia
- All employees hired after February 1, 2022 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination and associate booster vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.