Land Acquisition Specialist
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivalled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy is seeking a Land Acquisition Specialist who will be responsible for researching, acquiring, and negotiating all necessary documents and agreements for site acquisition for Apex’s renewable energy projects. Responsibilities will include land acquisition, agreement negotiation and management, and land divestment. Reporting to the Land Director, Development, this role will work closely with Land Acquisition Managers, Project Developers, and Public Engagement Managers and will be responsible for continuously delivering project information to both internal and external stakeholders throughout the land acquisition process.
Our ideal candidate will have directly related land acquisition and contract negotiation experience, experience working on renewable energy projects, and advanced customer service skills. We are seeking someone with a strong proactive approach to their work as well as someone with the utmost degree of professionalism and dependability. In addition, advanced negotiating, communication, organizational and attention to detail skills are critical to success as is a comprehensive understanding of land, legal, and energy industry principles, processes, and procedures.
Our projects are located across the United States. Our Project Development Department is split into 6 regionally-based teams, each team responsible for the development of several utility-scale wind and solar projects. The specific location of the project(s) you will work on are dependent both on our need as a company, your location, and your ability to travel.
This is a full-time non-exempt position that is benefits eligible with project and travel expenses covered. This role will be hired temporarily through our professional staffing agency with the potential for regular full-time employment at Apex Clean Energy, pending quality of work and business needs.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Non-Exempt
- Department: Project Development
- Travel: 40-70% to project area of interest
- Office Location: Remote
- Analyze public records then negotiate, request, and consummate all necessary agreements with third party participants to ensure Apex Clean Energy has rights for development of wind, solar, storage or other renewable energy.
- Site due diligence and factual research into land attributes and project constraints (such as real estate title, physical, political, local, cultural and project development issues); Gather recorded deeds and determine availability for leasing and applicable regulatory guidelines, acquire interests in prospective lands by leasing directly from landowners or via negotiating agreements with industry competitors.
- Accurately update all systems as determined by the department’s needs.
- Assist Land Management department in title curative corrections with landowners.
- Advise management and other departments of pertinent matters related to ownership of leases
- Be proactive in determining effective negotiating tactics and strategies, finding and developing prospective opportunities for our participation and improving operating efficiencies and productivity.
- Serve as initial point of contact for Apex’s Project Development team, perform office support duties, and facilitate office productivity.
- Assist in coordination of public open houses, landowner meetings, or other events related to projects development and community outreach.
- Effectively communicate with management using an easily understood format as well as attend, prepare for and schedule meetings as necessary.
- 5+ years of professional work experience in land acquisition and contract negotiation in the energy industry (renewable energy industry preferred), overhead transmission line leasing, or on large-scale infrastructure projects
- Professional experience working on utility-scale wind and solar projects strongly preferred
- Prior experience working with landowners, project stakeholders, and local government agencies
- Familiarity with the life cycle of utility-scale renewable energy development projects
- Proven experience with complicated title and legal research
- Demonstrated success with complicated contract negotiations
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven ability to foresee issues, act proactively, and create solutions and recommendations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently with a high level of motivation
- Strong reporting and project management skills
- Excellent communication, writing, and organizational skills
- Problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Smartsheet (preferred)
- Project management knowledge preferred.
- Ability to utilize the local project office
- Extensive travel (40-70%) is required to various project sites within specified region. Living in the project area is not required.
- All employees hired after February 1, 2022 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination and related booster vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.