Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy is seeking an Interconnection Manager to join our growing Transmission Department. Reporting to the Director, Transmission & Interconnection and working closely with a small team of Interconnection Managers, the Interconnection Manager will help to manage the transmission interconnection requests for Apex’s fleet of projects across multiple ISO’s. This is a new position as we look to grow our interconnection process team to allow the company to expand its pipeline of projects to the desired future level.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to take part in the industry’s shift to clean energy onboard a recognized leader in this space that continues to grow exponentially while also becoming a highly skilled subject matter expert in all aspects of power system planning and interconnection process.
The ideal candidate for this role will have an advanced degree in electrical engineering with at least 3 years of electrical engineering experience and 2 years managing interconnection projects. Demonstrated experience with technical, project management, and negotiation skills are strongly preferred as is the ability to clearly communicate with both internal and external stakeholders. Additionally, we are seeking candidates who are hands-on, hardworking team players eager to jump in and support projects and people from a variety of angles with limited supervision. The position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to balance priorities and be flexible in a rapidly changing environment.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Transmission
- Travel: 15%
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA. Remote will be considered for the right candidate.
- Manage the transmission interconnection requests for Apex’s fleet of projects in multiple ISOs (PJM, SPP, MISO, ISONE, NYISO, ERCOT, WECC) by managing and/or performing deliverability studies, filing interconnection requests, tracking progress in the queue, and coordinating with system operators and transmission owners on design, schedule, and cost at a project specific level.
- Review and translate the results of Feasibility, System Impact, and Facility Studies in each ISO and how they impact the anticipated commercial schedule and interconnection costs for a project.
- Oversee technical project details and work closely with electrical design consultants.
- Support Project Management and Project Finance by accurately communicating interconnection requirements, anticipated costs, interconnection service limitations, construction schedules, and fatal flaw analysis.
- Identify, quantify, and resolve areas of risk that may affect project financing or offtake.
- Provide commercial and strategic guidance, with the support of senior management, on the company’s development pipeline, M&A targets, and operational assets.
- Create or improve existing technical and project management tools to aid in more efficient management of the interconnection project portfolio.
- Track changes to interconnection tariffs nationwide and participate in technical ISO/stakeholder workshops as and when required. Carry out other project development responsibilities as assigned.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering
- Master’s Degree and/or PhD in electrical engineering preferred
- 3-5 years’ experience in electrical engineering
- 1-2 years managing interconnection projects across multiple ISOs
- Experience managing consulting engineering firms and/or contractors
- Excellent balance of technical, project management, and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate excellently with internal and external stakeholders
- Exemplary standards of honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with a high attention to detail
- Demonstrated management skills and ability to manage deadlines and projects in a changing environment
- Ability to successfully work proactively and productively with limited supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated success at meeting deadlines, and the ability to manage many tasks, people, and projects simultaneously
- A positive attitude and comfort being flexible, adaptable, and solutions-oriented
- Passion for renewable energy
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia. Remote work will be considered for the right candidate.)
- All employees hired after February 1, 2022 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination and associate booster vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.