Green Fuels Technology Manager
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy is seeking a Green Fuels Technology Manager to be our expert in the technical domain of green fuels production. This role will provide our team with a high level of professional expertise, guidance, and training in hydrogen production and process in order to solve complex scientific problems relating to the chemistry, modeling, process, design, development and operations of green fuels projects. This role will initiate and conduct innovative hydrogen production projects related to and in tandem with our portfolio of utility-scale renewable energy projects.
Reporting to our Senior Vice President of Energy and Technology, this position will interact with multiple departments to ensure relevant data and analysis drives decision making and overall project quality. The candidate for this position should be adaptable and capable of working with an energetic team of professionals and should be intimately familiar with principles of green fuels technology and economics. Working closely with internal stakeholders, this work will involve coordinating macroeconomic, technological and policy trends with our insights on industry level and overall energy system development. We will look to you to increasingly become the 'go-to' person on renewable fuels and owning the market outlook for green fuels.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Energy & Technology
- Travel: 15%
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA. Remote work to be considered.
Gain and disseminate strong understanding of the state of the art in electrolysis and green fuel (hydrogen, ammonia, methanol, and other hydrogen derivatives) and lead engagement and strategy with equipment suppliers and manufacturers and production partners
- Conduct research and maintain awareness of novel developments in hydrogen economy
- Manage technical needs and innovative projects related to hydrogen production and process
- Engage in economic analyses for marketing, financing, and in support of other commercial activities for newly developed technologies and project facilities in development
- Advise the team and contribute to planning, design, and evaluating approaches to meet project objectives in a timely, cost-effective fashion
- Generate and protect intellectual property
- Disseminate results through high impact reports and presentations
- Direct, guide, counsel, and train others in the green energy science and technologies
- Keep current on new developments in this area of expertise; actively participate in work of technical societies (e.g., SPE, ASTM, ACS)
- Assemble and update green fuel related news and industry trends for incorporation into business offerings
- Perform other duties as required
- M.S. Degree in a Science/Engineering Discipline as appropriate for the area of expertise in clean energy and hydrogen production; Ph.D. degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering and Process is preferred
- Typically has 10+ years of professional experience including at least 5 years as a specialist with full responsibility for major technical work in area of renewable energy, hydrogen production processes, electromagnetic physics for heat generation, thermodynamics and physical chemistry, modeling, plant and operation designs
- Ability to multitask and effectively manage several projects
- Must be able to communicate and comprehend accurately, clearly and concisely in the form of formal presentation and routine technical discussions among peers; good interpersonal and communication skills; proficient technical writing skills
- Incumbent will have achieved substantial industry recognition in his area of expertise; ideally, the incumbent will have published in significant technical journals and will have a history of active participation in technical society activities
- Ambition to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented team with a strong commitment to coaching and development
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment; ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia or our satellite office in Minneapolis, MN. Remote work will be considered for the right candidate.
- All employees hired after February 1, 2022 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination and associate booster vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.