Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Developer supports the development of utility scale renewable energy projects across the United States through application development, system administration and geoprocessing task automation. Daily tasks in this role focus on the systems used by both web and desktop GIS users: developing new applications, improving existing systems and workflows, automating GIS desktop tasks, and providing troubleshooting and maintenance. The web GIS system includes many proprietary application built on top of ArcGIS Enterprise while desktop users are on ArcGIS desktop.
The GIS Developer reports to our GIS Director and is a member of our multi-disciplined Energy and Technology Team. In this role, you will work cross-departmentally to solve interesting, hard problems and help to guide key business decisions. The right candidate will be a hands-on, self-driven, hard-working team player who is passionate about building professional maps through the use of sophisticated GIS software and techniques. This position requires excellent communication and writing skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and the flexibility to shift priorities on the go. A passion for renewable energy is a plus.
Hours: Full Time
Department: Energy and Technology
Travel: 0 - 10%
Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia is preferred. Remote work will be considered for the ideal candidate.
- Automation of geoprocessing tasks requested by GIS Analysts.
- Publishing of services to power web GIS products.
- ETL and updating of datasets.
- Maintenance of web GIS system components.
- Configuration of ArcGIS Portal applications.
- Development of web applications to supplement ArcGIS Enterprise (e.g. Flask).
- Administration of GIS databases.
- Provide consultation to customers that request GIS services and tailor products to the specific needs of each project as requested by the project managers, developers, and other participants in project development and execution.
- Optimizing systems and project work flows.
- Coordinate GIS activities with applications development, programmers and IT system specialists.
- Provide support for other GIS users across the company.
- Diagnosing and troubleshooting problems experienced with the use of GIS and related products.
- Consulting users and customers to identify new application needs or requirements and reviewing and testing new data/software to treat.
To succeed as a GIS Developer at Apex Clean Energy, you'll need to excel within the following criteria:
- An accredited degree or certification in GIS, computer science, or closely-related technical discipline
- 2 years experience with ArcSDE and SQL (or similar relational database systems)
- 2 years experience with python coding or programming related to GIS functions
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience using the ESRI suite of desktop software
- 2 years experience with web GIS application development
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work proactively and productively with limited supervision
- Passion for renewable energy
- Exemplary standards of honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity
- Employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Experience with ArcGIS Enterprise configuration and development
Works primarily traditional office hours in remote office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.