Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
The Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst produces analysis and maps to support renewable energy projects. Daily tasks in this role focus on the preparation of spatial analysis and cartographic products related to lease management and land administration, permitting activities, the siting of equipment and infrastructure on projects, and the overall visualization of projects to support siting, design, optimization, financing, construction, and operation of renewable energy projects.
The GIS Analyst reports to our GIS Manager and is a member of our multi-disciplined Energy and Technology Team. In this role, you will work cross-departmentally to solve interesting, hard problems and help to guide key business decisions. The right candidate will be a hands-on, self-driven, hard-working team player who can jump in and support projects from a variety of angles. This position requires excellent communication and writing skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and the flexibility to shift priorities on the go. A passion for renewable energy is a plus.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Travel: 0 - 10%
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Production of data analyses, data conversions, and cartographic models and map products to support renewable energy project development, construction, and operation.
- Provide consultation to customers that request GIS services and tailor products to the specific needs of each project as requested by the project managers, developers, and other participants in project development and execution.
- Coordinating the acquisition or creation of new spatial data and integrating this data into the organization’s GIS.
- Developing and exercising data specific quality control procedures.
- Optimizing spatial analyses and project work flows.
- Create and administer geodatabases within the company GIS.
- Coordinate GIS activities with applications development, programmers and IT system specialists.
- Establish and monitor cartographic design standards for high quality map production.
- Provide support for other GIS users across the company.
- Diagnosing and “troubleshooting” problems experienced with the use of GIS and related analysis products.
- Consulting users and customers to identify new analysis needs or requirements and reviewing and testing new data/software to treat.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in a related technical discipline from an accredited university or college.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience with ESRI suite of applications as well as other GIS applications and competency in basic programming related to typical GIS.
- Certification or demonstrated ability to design and administer geodatabases and relational databases.
- Field Data Collection Experience with Collector for ArcGIS, Survey123, Navigator for ArcGIS.
- Experience plotting property boundaries from metes and bounds descriptions using COGO.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work proactively and productively with limited supervision.
- Passion for renewable energy.
- Exemplary standards of honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity.
- High attention to detail
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia (and/or our satellite office in Minneapolis, MN. Remote work will be considered for the right candidate.)
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Please submit a link to or PDF of a potfolio of your GIS-related work with your cover letter upon application.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.