Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
The Finance Department is seeking a Finance Manager to work with senior team members to support project finance transactions and other research and marketing initiatives as needed to advance Apex’s overall business growth initiatives and project commercialization goals.
In this role, you will participate in deal negotiations and document review to track open issues, follow up on deliverables, and provide general transaction support. In addition, you will be responsible for coordinating due diligence efforts, reviewing financial models, preparing term sheets, analyzing proposals, and reviewing legal documentation.
Working closely with the Finance Department as well as cross-departmentally, this role will give you exposure to business planning activities, power marketing, M&A and strategic initiatives aimed at long-term growth objectives. The Finance Manager position requires excellent communication and collaboration skills as well as the ability to work well under pressure, multitask, and shift priorities on the go. The successful candidate will be well organized, with solid analytical skills, strong attention to detail, and the ability to synthesize and conceptualize complex ideas. A passion for renewable energy is a plus.
- Manage the due diligence process for parties considering an investment in Apex projects. This will include setting up and maintaining a data room and coordinating all due diligence responses including written responses to questions and scheduling calls with Apex subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Review financial models (Microsoft Excel) and help to update and validate inputs and identify value improvements. Work with internal team and outside consultants to improve assumptions in the financial model and to provide analysis to support those positions in investor discussions.
- Create and maintain project marketing materials including teasers, PowerPoint presentations and Confidential Information Memoranda working with the Project Development team and SMEs to review and validate information for prospective investors.
- Analyze and summarize special issues associated with prospective deals to assist decision-making such as development risk, transaction structure and payments, cost-sharing mechanisms, key commercial issues, etc.
- Participate in deal negotiations and document review to track open issues, follow up on deliverables, and provide general transaction support.
- On an as-needed basis, research new market opportunities and prospective investors and help improve and update tools used to manage finance team workstreams.
To succeed as a Finance Manager at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in finance or a related field
- Minimum of 2 years professional work experience
- Understanding and ability to work with financial models
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word)
- Ability to foster cohesive teamwork that delivers best-in-class service to clients
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Highly organized; able to juggle competing demands and follow through on deliverables with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated interest in the energy industry
- Professional presence, outgoing with strong communication and presentation skills
- Builds trust by demonstrating high ethical standards and personal integrity
- Analytical problem solver who views obstacles as challenges
- Creative thinker who values innovation
- Willing to travel 15-20%
- Able to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in remote office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.