Finance Associate, Energy Transition
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
The Finance Associate, Energy Transition role will help support energy transition opportunities by building, refining, and owning financial and operational models for green fuels along with other renewable energy projects. This will include working closely with the corporate strategy and finance teams within Apex, developing models and business use cases for using renewable energy to create green hydrogen and its derivative products including green ammonia, green methanol, and sustainable aviation fuel. Our ideal candidate has a solid understanding of creating financial models, business-case development, and industry knowledge of renewable energy, oil & gas, midstream or chemical facilities. Applicants with experience at an investment bank, management consultancy or project financing group preferred. Experience working across diverse teams and influencing business decisions through financial analysis and the ability to convey key economic recommendations to senior leadership is essential. This person must be comfortable getting their hands dirty in data and requires a high comfort-level with data visualization. This position reports directly to the Senior Vice President of Corporate Strategy and represents an opportunity to jump into and influence the dynamic and growing renewable energy industry and the energy transition.
- Work closely with corporate strategy team, finance and a cross-departmental team engaged in green fuel opportunities
- Build, utilize, and maintain green fuel project and portfolio-level financial models, including green hydrogen, green ammonia, green methanol, and sustainable aviation fuel.
- Manage green fuel financial models through commercialization, including securing offtake and raising project-level debt, tax equity, and any other financing as may be required
- Work across internal departments, external consultants, and stakeholders to organize key inputs.
- Create database of green fuels opportunities and key financial metrics to help measure changes to inputs as the market continues to develop and to be able to compare inputs across green fuel opportunities. Also, be able to recommend prioritization of green fuel opportunities and key investment decisions.
- Summarize key financial analysis and assist in making recommendations to project teams and senior leadership
- Complete other research and analytical exercises as needed
- Identify green fuels trends, review market reports, and report key insights across departments
To succeed as a Financial Associate, Energy Transition at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, engineering, accounting, finance, data science, statistics, economics, or a related field
- Solid understanding of financial modeling, business-case development, and sector knowledge in renewable energy, oil & gas, midstream or chemical facilities. Experience at an investment bank, management consultancy or project financing group or a related field preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working with complex financial and/or operational models
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience including business analysis and supporting internal and external meeting presentations
- An outstanding ability to analyze problems, apply quantitative analytical approaches, communicate effectively and confidently (both oral and written), work well in cross-functional team
- Experience in business model development
- Experience establishing frameworks for prioritizing internal investment decisions across business opportunities
- Comfort in ambiguous situations with the ability to make strategic recommendations having imperfect information
- Strong analytical skills to understand market movements, pricing, and overall financial levers/analysis/models
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency in MS PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA preferred.
- All employees hired after February 1, 2022 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination and associate booster vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in remote office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.