Director of State Affairs
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Join an inclusive team focused using our expertise in the relentless pursuit of accelerating the shift to clean energy.
The Director of State Affairs oversees the State Affairs team within the Public Affairs department at Apex and will be responsible for developing and executing a proactive, long-term state policy strategy that ensures the team’s efforts are aligned with Apex’s bigger picture opportunities and interests. Apex is seeking a strategic leader with skills and experience in state legislative policy, regulatory engagement, and political advocacy. The Director will manage Apex’s highly capable and effective 6-person team and coordinate with departments across the company to set long-term policy goals and ensure all state and regional policy efforts are aligned with those goals. The Director will also be expected to represent Apex in some industry coalitions, guide policy analysis related to emerging technologies, and help direct Apex’s political engagement efforts at the state and local level. The Director may have responsibility for tracking and leading government affairs in a few lower-priority states, depending on capacity elsewhere in the team. The Director will play a critical role in building the growing State Affairs team and ensuring strong team relationships and morale. The Director will report to the vice president of Public Affairs.
The ideal applicant for the Director of State Affairs will have deep experience working on policy issues in the renewable energy industry, will bring strong existing relationships with key industry players, and will have demonstrated people- and task-management skills. Familiarity with renewable energy markets, as well as multiple renewable energy technologies (including utility-scale wind and solar, distributed solar, and storage) will be critical. In addition, our ideal candidate has a familiarity with federal affairs and can recognize the synergies between groups to ensure all strategies are aligned.
Qualified candidates will be hands-on, hardworking team players who are eager to jump in and support projects and people from a variety of angles. The candidate selected will demonstrate a sincere interest and demonstrated ability to take Apex to the next level on its state-level engagement. The position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to balance priorities and be flexible in a rapidly changing environment.
The Government and Regulatory Affairs team at Apex Clean Energy leads legislative and regulatory engagement, trade association and coalition activity, and political advocacy activity at the state government level. In cooperation with internal stakeholders, the team also provides policy analysis, develops long-term policy and political strategies, and assists with government engagement related to project development.
The Director of Government and Regulatory Affairs position focuses on three areas: Team Management, Communications and Coordination, and Policy Strategy.
Team Management. The Director ensures that the regional leads have the tools and resources needed to succeed. This includes:
- Providing management and guidance to highly skilled, regional state affairs team members
- Leading the state affairs team and maintaining a positive and collaborative team culture
- Assisting on projects and issues as needed
- Managing department budgets, state/regional coalition footprint, and work plans
- Coordinating lobbying and ethical compliance activities
Communications and Coordination. Ensures that the broader Apex community is informed and engaged related to the team’s work
- Facilitating regular one-on-one and team communication
- Coordinating communication with other internal teams and departments
- Managing regulatory and legislative tracking
- Supporting political and advocacy activities as needed
Policy Strategy. Coordinates with Government Affairs Managers, Apex leadership, and other department heads to develop company strategy on state and regional policy activities, including:
- State tax and finance policy
- State and regional energy markets and market access
- Regulatory Commission engagement and utility IRPs
- State policies related to transmission planning and siting
- Distributed solar
- Renewable hydrogen
- State-level project permitting and siting issues
To succeed as a Director of State Affairs with Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- 8+ years’ government, state government affairs, state public policy or state public affairs experience
- 2+ years of managing a team
- Familiarity with the renewable energy policy landscape nationwide and the functioning of electricity markets
- Proficiency in working with legislative and regulatory tracking software systems, Microsoft Office Suite, and Smartsheet (or similar programs)
- Demonstrated leadership and relationship management skills
- Strong presentation skills and executive presence
- Ability to effectively advocate across party lines on issues important to our business and our values
- Understanding of, and commitment to, compliance with state and local lobbying requirements and ethics rules
- Ability to take part in collaborative efforts with peers and colleagues
- Extraordinary planning and organizational skills
- Passion for renewable energy
- Exemplary standards of honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work actively and productively with limited supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated success at meeting deadlines, and the ability to manage many tasks, people, and projects simultaneously
- Self-motivation and willingness to work irregular hours (including nights and weekends, as needed)
- Track record of building a strong and supportive team culture
- Ability to communicate with diverse communities and leaders
- Proven leadership and management skills
- A positive attitude and comfort being flexible, adaptable, and solutions-oriented
- Ability to meet tight deadlines under pressure in a fast paced, metrics-driven work environment
- Willing and able to travel 20%
- Preference given to those who can work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA, or our satellite office in Lake Elmo, MN. Will consider remote for the right candidate.
What Apex Can Offer You
- A mission-driven, energetic environment
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.