Director of Solar Technology
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
The Director of Solar Technology leads strategic activities for solar across the Apex business with particular focus on solar supply chain and market analysis, procurement, project design and execution, operational analytics, and next generation technology and services that enable Apex’s solar portfolio.
Working with various departments across the organization, this position is viewed as a subject matter expert in multiple aspects of solar technology and supports all functions and solar activities including development, procurement, project design, construction, operations, technical support, and engineering. This position works closely with resource assessment, systems, GIS, engineering, construction, and operations to support deployment of solar projects.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Technology or as they delegate.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Technology
- Travel: 25%
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA
- Provides commercial leadership, guidance, and technical support to all functions driving Apex solar projects from development throughout operations.
- Leads technical assessment, supply chain and market assessment, and sourcing strategies for major solar equipment.
- Leads technical due diligence, internal analysis, and independent engineering to support commercial activities such as power marketing, project acquisitions, and project financing.
- Develops systems and models to analyze and optimize solar equipment assessment and decision making on solar projects.
- Sets standards on design and/or operation of equipment for solar power generation in collaboration with GIS, resource assessment, engineering, project management and operations.
- Guides project teams in project equipment configuration and advises on solar industry issues for permitting and design, and development.
- Analyzes and positions Apex around emerging trends, technologies and practices in US solar.
- Provides guidance on applicable codes, practices, QA/QC policies, performance standards, and specifications.
- Extensive technical expertise with solar equipment.
- Design, engineering, and/or operations experience with solar projects
- Minimum of bachelor's degree in science, engineering, or relevant field
- 8+ years' experience in renewable energy, power generation or power delivery with considerable experience in US solar projects.
- Proficiency in Solar and MV system designs and studies.
- Strong understanding of applicable industry codes and standards including the IEEE, NESC, IEC
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Outlook with advanced MS Office skills, Capability with advances data analysis and visualization is a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to work across multiple functions and to understand requirements, and create solutions for project challenges.
- Excellent analytical, reporting presentation and communication skills
- Willing to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA. Remote work considered for the right candidate.
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.