Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
At the direction of the Regional Lead, the Development Manager will manage the activities required to develop utility-scale wind and/or solar energy projects. In this role, you must possess the experience and skills required to lead multi-million-dollar infrastructure projects, preferably related to renewable energy projects. The position’s work scope will encompass and support the entire life cycle of a project from early-stage development to construction, including siting, land management, interconnection and transmission, environmental permitting, engineering, and land use permitting.
Our ideal candidate will come into this role with a genuine passion for renewable energy, education in a related field, and at least 3 years of project development experience (preferably utility-scale energy project development experience). Our ideal candidate has a solid track record of exemplary teamwork and enjoys working on a dynamic and diverse cross-departmental team. You understand how to drive projects through key development milestones and can do so largely independently. You can interpret the technical intricacies, are proficient at negotiating contracts, and have no problem organizing, planning, and meeting deadlines for large multi-faceted projects. Our ideal candidate is a personable self-starter who loves to be involved in the project and field work, seizes the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues, and thrives in an environment that requires flexibility and adaptation to constant change, shifting demands, and moving timelines.
In this role, you will lead community and client relationships throughout the development process, and you'll work together with our internal teams at every stage to help us successfully get our projects across the finish line. In addition to strategic project management and demonstrated technical acumen, the ideal candidate will have the ability to effectively communicate with a high level of precision and integrity to internal and external stakeholders presenting coherent arguments using facts and fact-based opinions following detailed research and analysis.
Our projects are located across the United States, from Maine to Florida and from Virginia to the West Coast. Our Project Development Department is split into 6 regionally-based teams, each team responsible for the development of a number of utility-scale wind and solar projects. The specific location of the projects you will work on are dependent both on our need as a company and your location. We love having developers work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia and are open to sensible work locations in or nearby project areas of interest. We are always looking for great talent to join our Project Development Team so we encourage you to apply!
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Project Development
- Travel: 40-50%
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA, our satellite office in Lake Elmo, Minnesota, or remote in a sensible location that can accomodate project travel
The Development Manager is responsible for overseeing the lifecycle of the implementation of renewable energy projects. This includes:
- Manage and lead the development process of utility-scale wind and/or solar energy projects in your assigned region
- Represent Apex with federal, state and local officials, regulators, utilities, RTOs, and other stakeholders throughout the project development process
- Oversee and manage state, federal, and local permitting efforts and approval processes for utility-scale electric generation projects
- Manage the preparation and delivery of permitting documentation
- Interpret technical engineering and environmental reports and studies to determine project impact and pertinence towards application requirements
- Provide reports to management including updates on project status and changes to regulations
- Manage project financial models, project design and generation interconnection activities
- Lead landowner lease negotiations and relationships in projects involving large numbers of landowners
- Help to coordinate the project interconnection process
- Compilation and analysis of data for project stakeholders and partners
- Organize and supervise project budget, schedule and proforma
- Support the negotiation of power purchase and asset agreements
- Develop and execute project marketing strategy in close collaboration with our Public Affairs Team
- Oversee project consultants: environmental, engineering, transmission, etc.
- Work cross-departmentally to maintain clear communication and smooth collaboration at all stages of the project development process
- Travel to project site locations and attend stakeholder meetings
To succeed as a Development Manager at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll need to display excellence within the following criteria:
- Undergraduate degree in development related field with a strong academic record
- 3+ years of project development experience; direct utility-scale wind or solar development experience strongly preferred
- Solid track record in project management and contract negotiations
- Knowledge of commercial wind & energy storage markets
- Understanding of renewable energy financing options and project financial models
- Experience with county and state permitting processes
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within and lead multi-disciplinary teams while earning buy-in from team members to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery of projects
- Experience managing land agents and/or independent contractors
- Strong organization skills and ability to handle time to meet frequently changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong work ethic and ability to productively take ownership of projects while communicating collaboratively throughout the project’s life cycle
- Adept at problem-solving
- Articulate with the ability to lead and assist with management, client, and public presentations
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Strong passion for renewable energy
- Exemplary standards of safety, honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity
- Willing and able to travel 40%-50%
- Driving is an essential function of this job. This position must possess and maintain a current, valid driver license
- Willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA, our satellite office in Lake Elmo, MN, or in a sensible remote location that can accomodate project needs and travel
- All employees hired after February 2, 2022 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination and related vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
When travelling, may work in an outdoor environment, which may be noisy and fast paced and subject to inclement weather.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.