Development Manager, Southeast
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy develops, constructs, and operates utility-scale wind and solar power facilities across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 renewable energy experts uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information on how Apex is leading the transition to a clean energy future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
At the direction of the Regional Director of Development, the Development Manager will manage activities surrounding the procurement, management, and oversight of both external and internal resources required to develop utility-scale solar and storage energy projects in the SERC and Southern MISO markets. In this role, you must possess the experience and skills required to lead multi-million-dollar infrastructure projects, preferably related to renewable energy projects. The position’s work scope will encompass the entire life cycle of a project from early-stage development to construction.
Our ideal candidate will come into this role with a genuine passion for renewable energy, education in a related field, and at least 3 years of energy project development experience (preferably utility-scale project development experience). Our ideal candidate has a solid track record of exemplary teamwork and enjoys working on a dynamic and diverse cross-departmental team. You understand how to drive projects through key development milestones and can do so largely independently. You have extensive experience with commercial leasing in the Southeast and have demonstrable success building professional rapport with landowners, community members, and all stakeholders. You can interpret the technical intricacies of a project, are proficient at negotiating contracts, and have no problem organizing, planning, and meeting deadlines for large multi-faceted projects. Our ideal candidate is a personable self-starter who loves to be involved in the project and field work, seizes the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues, and thrives in an environment that requires flexibility and adaptation to constant change, shifting demands, and moving timelines.
In this role, you will lead community and client relationships throughout the development process, and you'll work together with our internal teams at every stage to help us successfully get our projects across the finish line. In addition to strategic project management and demonstrated technical acumen, the ideal candidate will have the ability to effectively communicate with a high level of precision and integrity to internal and external stakeholders presenting coherent arguments using facts and fact-based opinions following detailed research and analysis. The intended geographical region that this position will be developing projects includes the Southeast area, specifically Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Mississippi.
Manage and lead the development process of utility-scale solar and/or storage energy projects in the Southeastern United States
- Represent Apex with federal, state and local officials, regulators, utilities, RTOs, and other stakeholders throughout the project development process
- Oversee and manage state, federal, and local permitting efforts and approval processes for utility-scale electric generation projects
- Manage the preparation and delivery of permitting documentation
- Interpret technical engineering and environmental reports and studies to determine project impact and pertinence towards application requirements
- Provide reports to management including updates on project status and changes to regulations
- Manage project financial models, project design and generation interconnection activities
- Lead landowner lease negotiations and relationships in projects involving large numbers of landowners
- Help to coordinate the project interconnection process
- Compilation and analysis of data for project stakeholders and partners
- Organize and supervise project budget, schedule and proforma
- Support the negotiation of power purchase and asset agreements
- Develop and execute project marketing strategy in close collaboration with our Public Affairs Team
- Oversee project consultants: environmental, engineering, transmission, etc.
- Work cross-departmentally to maintain clear communication and smooth collaboration at all stages of the project development process
- Travel to project site locations and attend stakeholder meetings
- Undergraduate degree in development related field with a strong academic record
- 3+ years of project development experience; direct utility-scale solar and/or storage development experience strongly preferred
- Solid track record in project management and contract negotiations
- Knowledge of commercial solar & energy storage markets
- Understanding of renewable energy financing options and project financial models
- Experience with county and state permitting processes. Experience in the Southeast region preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively within and lead multi-disciplinary teams while earning buy-in from team members to ensure on-time and on-budget delivery of projects
- Experience managing land agents and/or independent contractors
- Strong organization skills and ability to handle time to meet frequently changing deadlines in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong work ethic and ability to productively take ownership of projects while communicating collaboratively throughout the project’s life cycle.
- Adept at problem-solving
- Articulate with the ability to lead and assist with management, client, and public presentations
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Strong passion for renewable energy
- Exemplary standards of safety, honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity
- Willing and able to travel 40% to the Southeast region of the United States
- Willing to work from our headquarters in Charlottesville, VA or a remote location in the Southeast project area
What Apex Can Offer You
- A mission-driven, energetic environment
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.