Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of more than 250 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex Clean Energy is seeking a professional and self-motivated Corporate Accountant to join our Accounting Department. In this role, you’ll play an important role in our company’s financial operations, ensuring accuracy in accounting and compliance with the law. Reporting to our Vice President of Accounting, you should come into this role comfortable being responsible for the management and reporting of financial data of a growing organization, preparing financial statements and records, examining and analyzing our accounts, ensuring taxes are paid, and ensuring compliance with financial reporting and other standard accounting procedures. Our ideal candidate has excellent attention to detail and is comfortable meeting corporate and financial deadlines.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Accounting
- Travel: 0%
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA
- Consolidate (and combine) financial statements
- Reconcile the company’s bank statements and bookkeeping ledgers
- Managing income and expenditure accounts
- Generating the company’s financial reports using trial balance data
- Filing and remitting income and indirect taxes and other financial obligations
- Helping maintain the accounting software used by the company
- Ensure proper coding of transactions in accordance with GAAP
- Assist in control design and implementation with an eye toward growth
- Monitor P&L expenses (against budget - BVA)
- Handle monthly, quarterly, and annual closings including running of closing checklist
- Manage external auditors and tax preparers and the day-to-day audit process
- Create ad-hoc reporting to capital partners and senior leadership
- Help manage risks
- Work with Apex’s FPA group to create forecasts and budgets.
- Assist in transactional work and coordinate with the Project Controller
- Work with and monitor fixed assets
Degree in accounting, finance, or related field. In the absence of a degree, significant experience will be considered.
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) a plus
2+ years of professional experience as a bookkeeper or corporate accountant working with financial software and up to speed on current trends
Public accounting experience a plus (auditing or tax)
Understanding of GAAP and ability to research the ASC
Experience consolidating trial balances and preparing financial statements
Ability to organize and prioritize daily duties, strong level of accuracy & attention to detail
Investigative nature enabling you to track errors in calculations back to the source
Ability to take on responsibility and accountability
Able to work autonomously and as part of a broader team
Ability to solve problems and implement solutions
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Advanced computer software skills, including using and managing spreadsheets in Excel and other accounting software packages (Dynamics or other real-estate or construction focused)
Experience in varying ERP systems
Experience in a dynamic and growing company preferred
Knowledge of renewable energy accounting policies preferred
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia (and/or our satellite office in Minneapolis, MN. Remote work will be considered for the right candidate.)
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.