Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex is seeking a Civil Engineer to join our team of engineers that lead the technical evaluation and design of utility-scale wind, solar energy and battery storage projects to support our portfolio across the United States. As a Civil Engineer at Apex, you will manage the detailed layout design, conduct site visits to support site evaluation, manage relationships with various engineering consultants, and interface with project management clients, both internal and external, throughout a project’s lifecycle.
Our Civil Engineers occupy a multi-faceted role and provide technical leadership for projects including preliminary design, production forecasting, permitting, and the electrical interconnection of utility-scale projects. The position requires impressive cross-functional skills as you’ll be performing a variety of civil engineering tasks, supporting various project managers and collaborating with team members as well as developing Requests-For-Proposals, collaborating with third-party engineering firms, assisting with the development of project estimates, interfacing with wind turbine OEMs, and providing technical support. Travel is required as you’ll conduct site visits to evaluate new opportunities, coordinate with local officials and communities, site project facilities and ensure that quality standards are met during field evaluations and construction.
Our ideal candidate is an action-oriented, hard-working team player who can support projects from a variety of angles. This position requires excellent communication and writing skills as well as the ability to balance priorities and shift needs on the go. A passion for renewable energy is a must.
- Hours: Full Time
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Project Management
- Travel: 25%
- Office Location: Headquarters in Charlottesville, VA or our satellite office outside of Minneapolis, MN. Remote work may be a possibility for the right candidate.
- Lead the civil engineering, survey, geotechnical investigation and foundation design of Apex’s wind and solar energy assets.
- Evaluate project siting constraints, wind turbine technology, balance of plant considerations, and wind resource data to optimize layouts.
- Conduct site visits to support site evaluation, suitability, and due diligence efforts. Participate in landowner meetings, community outreach events, and monthly construction meetings.
- Manage the design and layout process throughout the development of the project.
- Collaborate and manage the relationships with third-party engineering firms, equipment vendors and contractors.
- Lead the micro-siting process of our renewable energy sites.
- Coordinate facility design with spatial, environmental, and cultural data and work closely with the developer to assist in permitting.
- Develop the initial transportation plan for the project.
- Interface with the project management team to determine routing of electrical infrastructure for the project.
- Lead the commissioning and plotting of various due diligence studies that affect the layout of the renewable energy projects.
- Support and maintain Apex’s civil engineering design guidelines and specifications.
To succeed as a Civil Engineer at Apex Clean Energy, you will need to excel within the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in civil engineering or related physical science with a preference to a master’s degree and/or Professional Engineer license
- At least 3 years of experience supporting the engineering, design, and/or construction of renewable energy projects
- Thorough understanding and work experience with the design of roads, foundations, and grading plans
- Experience managing consulting engineering firms
- Experience with Civil 3D, AutoCAD, Google Earth, Excel, and GIS software
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated management skills and ability to multi-task with shifting priorities.
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Willing to travel up to 25% to project sites across the United States
- Location: Willing and able to work from our Headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia or our satellite office outside of Minneapolis, MN. Remote work may be a possibility for the right candidate.
- All employees hired after August 1, 2021 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.