Battery Energy Storage Engineer
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
19 days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
The Battery Energy Storage Engineer will be the technical resource for distributed and utility scale energy storage projects. This position advises multiple departments to ensure successful design, procurement, installation, and commissioning of BESS systems. The Engineer provides subject matter expertise regarding technology, software, manufacturers, and integrators. This position reports directly to the VP of Engineering & Procurement.
- Evaluate and select BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) solutions to meet project financial and functionality goals
- Research and recommend OEMs, control software providers, BESS integrators.
- Internal subject matter expert for BESS control software. Perform in-depth technical diligence on a variety of BESS integrators and technology suppliers, including their hardware and software offerings.
- Evaluate BESS costs, systems architecture, operational capabilities, warranties.
- Provide preliminary design concepts, system sizing, layouts, and technical specifications.
- Ensure design optimization related to efficiency and reliability.
- Create and maintain the internal BESS technical specifications documents.
- Support Construction and O&M teams regarding project execution and commissioning. Support reliable and sustainable operation of BESS assets.
- Support Finance and cost estimating teams regarding hardware costs, warranties, degradation, market participation capabilities.
To succeed as our Battery Energy Storage Engineer, you’ll need to excel within the following criteria:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Power Engineering and Material Science, or related technical degree.
- Minimum 3 years of experience related to energy systems design, power distribution, renewable energy, or related industry.
- Can identify and implement detailed solutions to complex technical problems
- Shows a bias for action. Takes ownership.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required upon employment
Works primarily traditional office hours in an indoor office environment. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.