Associate General Counsel
Apex Clean Energy
Charlottesville, VA, United States
30+ days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex is seeking an Associate General Counsel who will work closely with our team of attorneys to provide full legal services to internal clients in connection with the acquisition, financing, and disposition of utility-scale renewable energy projects. With direction from the General Counsel, the Associate General Counsel will also manage a wide variety of project and corporate matters to support the Company’s efforts to develop, construct, own and operate projects.
The successful candidate will have a Juris Doctor degree, at least two years of law firm and/or in-house experience, and experience managing complex corporate transactions. Our ideal candidate has experience with renewable energy transactions, an outstanding analytical ability, excellent writing skills, and is both detail-oriented and able to demonstrate leadership and initiative. A demonstrated interest in renewable energy projects is the greatest indicator of success for this position.
The position will work day-to-day with members of the Legal and Finance teams. The successful candidate will be resourceful and driven to support numerous internal clients, with a focus on negotiating and managing corporate transactions at the center of Apex's business. You will also possess the sense of ownership and a real passion for innovation needed to drive meaningful improvements in how the company avoids or resolves obstacles to project development and project finance. If you welcome new challenges as learning opportunities and have the skills and discipline to follow through on both small tasks and large projects, we encourage you to apply to join our growing team.
- Provide legal support and strategic advice with regard to preparing our projects for financing, construction, and operation
- Help lead and execute on project finance and/or equity sale transactions for our projects
- Anticipate issues and estimate risks strategically
- Efficiently and effectively manage the project closing process and coordinate between subject matter experts and outside counsel
- Develop and coordinate relationships with external lawyers and maintain a good balance between usage, efficiency, and cost
To succeed as an Associate General Counsel at Apex Clean Energy, you’ll meet many of the following criteria:
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school.
- 2-8 years of experience in general corporate work, M&A, debt and equity financing, or other business transactions at a top-tier law firm, sophisticated corporate legal department or combination of the two.
- Commercial contracts experience, including reviewing, revising, drafting, negotiating, and advising on sophisticated and complex contracts.
- Experience managing and documenting complex transactions
- The ability to identify and implement practical solutions to complex business and legal problems
- Demonstrated flexibility and organizational skills to manage numerous and sometimes competing responsibilities of varying urgency and criticality within a fast-paced work environment
- Hardworking, responsive and adaptable to what the situation dictates, including possessing the diligence to advance matters independently, combined with the strong interpersonal skills to work effectively in a diverse team.
- Demonstrated high level of integrity and professionalism to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Excellent business discernment and the ability to evaluate risk from a legal and business perspective.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team-oriented perspective.
- Admitted in any US jurisdiction
Works from Apex’s corporate headquarters in Charlottesville, VA. Flexible work hours allowed when work duties and business operations permit. Apex will provide relocation assistance.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.