Field Organizer, Public Engagement, Texas
Apex Clean Energy
Austin, TX, United States
21 days ago
Apex Clean Energy was founded with a singular focus: to accelerate the shift to clean energy. Through origination, construction, and operation of utility-scale wind, solar, and storage facilities, distributed energy resources, and green fuel technologies, Apex is expanding the renewable frontier across North America. Our mission-driven team of almost 400 professionals uses a data-focused approach and an unrivaled portfolio of projects to create solutions for the world’s most innovative and forward-thinking customers. For more information about how Apex is building the energy company of the future, visit apexcleanenergy.com.
Apex strives to excel in every phase of project realization, from origination and financing to construction and asset management. Our mission-driven team seeks determined, resolute individuals who strive to innovate and go above the call of duty, and who will relentlessly do their part to help accelerate the shift to America’s clean energy future.
Apex is seeking an energetic and action-oriented Field Organizer ready to build support for renewable energy projects across the state of Michigan by executing specific local- and project-based aspects of our public engagement strategy. The Field Organizer will report to the region's Public Engagement Manager and will work in project communities across the state to assist Apex’s development team in building trusted, personal relationships with landowners and local supporters.
The Field Organizer will collaborate with their Public Engagement Manager to execute engagement strategies and plans that are unique to the project’s timeline and needs and reflective of Apex’s overall goals in Texas. The ideal applicant for the Field Organizer position will demonstrate interest in and knowledge of local political dynamics in Texas, sensitivity to working within the electoral rules governing political activity in the state, and familiarity with city and county land use regulations.
Qualified candidates will be hands-on, hardworking team players who are eager to jump in and support projects and people from a variety of angles. The position requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to balance priorities and be flexible in a rapidly changing environment. Previous experience in campaigns or issue advocacy is highly desirable. Candidates who understand or appreciate farm practices, and who possess a strong personal commitment to renewable energy, community engagement, business, and/or rural economic development will be well suited for this role.
- Hours: Full Time, flexible based on evening and weekend events
- Type: Exempt
- Department: Public Affairs
- Travel: 30% to project areas in the Austin area; primarily day trips
- Office Location: remote in the state of Texas
- Travel to projects to support project teams and public engagement strategy on a regular basis
- Maintain daily communication with the supervising Public Engagement Manager
- Build and maintain relationships with landowners and local supporters
- Ensure consistent and accurate landowner and supporter communication is maintained
- Help organize and mobilize landowners and local supports to take action in support of project priorities
- Attend local meetings and hearings, as needed, to help monitor and inform community
- Support the management of NationBuilder databases and email communication
- Track and monitor local opposition activity
- Professionally representing Apex Clean Energy at various community functions in Michigan
- Support event planning and execution
- Monitor local social and traditional media
- Help to develop grassroots marketing strategies as needed
- Be willing and able to live in or around our project areas in Michigan
- This role will require approximately 30% travel via car regionally in the Austin area. Very occasional travel out of state.
- Bachelor’s degree or 1+ years of work experience in a similar setting
- At least 1 year or 1 election cycle of campaign or outreach experience
- Passion for working in policy, communications, public affairs, and local government relations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated relationship management skills
- Ability to take part in collaborative efforts with peers and colleagues
- Extraordinary planning and organizational skills
- Interest in renewable energy
- Exemplary standards of honor, ethics, quality, communication, and productivity
- High attention to detail
- Ability to work actively and productively with limited supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated success at meeting deadlines
- Ability to manage many tasks, people, and projects simultaneously
- Self-motivation and willingness to work irregular hours (including nights and weekends, as needed)
- Ability to communicate with diverse communities and leaders
- Regular access to a reliable vehicle
- A positive attitude and comfort being flexible, adaptable, and solutions-oriented
- Ability to meet tight deadlines under pressure in a fast paced, metrics-driven work environment
- Willing to travel 60-70% to project areas across the state
- Location: remote in the Austin, Texas area
- All employees hired after February 1, 2022 are required to submit proof of a COVID-19 vaccination and associate booster vaccination on or before their start date unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and approved.
Works primarily traditional office hours in a home office environment. Frequest evenings and weekends required when work duties and business operations necessitate.
How You’ll Grow
At Apex Clean Energy, our professional development plans focus on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there’s always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the dynamic, fast-paced renewable energy industry. From on-the-job learning experiences to a robust multi-week onboarding experience to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
What Apex Can Offer You
At Apex Clean Energy, we know that great people make a great company. We value our people and offer employees a broad, best-in-class range of benefits.
- A mission-driven, energetic environment that supports and encourages our people to do their best work every day.
- A respect for and celebration of individuality, differences, and uniqueness
- Collaborative and driven professional workforce committed to supporting your ideas and feedback and accelerating your potential
- Ongoing support and guidance such as on-the-job learning, hands-on experience, and mentorship
- Training, strategies, and tools to support your personal and professional growth
- Team atmosphere of diverse professionals committed to making an impact as an organization
- Opportunities to volunteer and give back to our local communities
- Exceptional benefits such as medical and dental; 401(k) with corporate match
- Base and bonus commensurate with experience
- Responsible Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits Offered: comprehensive high-deductible health plans, dental and vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, group life insurance, 401(k) corporate matching, flexible spending arrangements, company paid parking and cell phone, fitness and wellness corporate discounts
Apex Clean Energy, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.